In addition to its incredible landscapes and heritage, the Basque Country is known for the quality and history of its ciders. In honor of this you can find the Sagardoetxea, a small corner full of experiences to commemorate and be in contact with this incredible world of cider.
A bit of the history of Sagardoetxea
Sagardoetxea was born in 2003 with one main objective, to collect, organize and provide all the information and history that revolves around Basque cider. With this, it was possible to create a place to unite the dissemination with the conservation of the heritage of the cider culture.
Where is it and how to get to Sagardoetxea
The Sagardoetxea museum is located in the Gipuzkoan town of Astigarraga. This location is only 10 minutes by car from the centre of San Sebastian.
The best route is by bike and if it is with Bike Rental San Sebastian much better. You will be here in 25-30 minutes from the center of San Sebastián, an unbeatable plan because along the way you will be able to discover places that would otherwise be difficult to enjoy.
To get to Sagardoetxea the path and itinerary is very simple. If you go by car, you can park in the centre of Astigarraga and walk just 5-10 minutes to the location of the Sagardoetxea.
If you decide to use the public transport, the best option is the bus since the stop is only 5 minutes from the museum. The lines that connect with this stop are BU12 and BU13.
Types of visits and prices of Sagardoetxea
The Sagardoetxea is a mandatory visit point if you want to learn more about Basque culture. The museum offers different plans and prices that are divided into 4 groups:
- Families: in this case, the Sagardoetxea offers a “family friendly” pack where, in addition to the visit, an artisan must-making workshop can be held (in spring only) as well as a visit to the museum’s mascot for the little ones. The price of admission for adults is €5, children between 10 and 17 years €3 and children under 9 will have free access.
- Individual: As expected, there is the option of buying tickets individually, offering the possibility of a guided tour and tasting with the ticket at the end of the visit.
- Groups: if you are more than 10 people and you want to visit Sagardoetxea together, it is best to do the group option. In this case, each adult pays €4.5 and must be booked in advance to organize the visit.
- School: the world of cider is something that must also be taught to the younger generations. For this reason, the Sagardoetxea museum offers the possibility of carrying out school visits from primary school to secondary with groups of a maximum of 30 people.
Hours of Sagerdoetxea
If you want to visit Sagardoetxea you must know the schedule to go, days and appropriate time. The time is:
- Closed Mondays (except in July and August)
- Tuesdays to Saturdays morning hours (11:00 to 1:30 p.m.) and afternoon hours (4:00 p.m. to 7:30 p.m.)
- Sundays and holidays only morning hours (11:00 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.)
What does the Sagardoetxea experience include?
The visit to Sagardoetxea includes different rooms and exhibitions that you can enjoy.
The apple orchard: the origin of everything
Visit the land from which the magic begins and the raw material is cultivated to obtain this incredible product. The care and characteristics of this type of crop will be explained.
Interpretation Centre: discover history
All the documentation and information collected in the investigation over the years manages to create an exhibition that deals with the past, present and future of the Basque cider culture.
Aroma space: experience your senses
The world of cider is also closely related to the different senses. In this part, the smells of apple and nature are experimented to connect even more.
The most important sense, taste. You will have the option to try different types of ciders and buy those that you liked the most with the tastings and the store part.
We are sure that in addition to Sagardoetxea you will have a mandatory stop in the city of San Sebastián and all its corners. We would love to accompany you on this incredible experience to discover the city of San Sebastián.